HOF Header

HOF Header
"ENDURANCE for Ankylosing Spondylitis"

BWBS Banner

BWBS Banner
For all of your Cycling and Triathlon needs, please contact the Bike Works Beach and Sports Ohana!! Schedule a trip to Hawaii and Join us for a group ride!!

Oomph! Sports

Oomph! Sports
Oomph Sports handmakes well constructed, comfortable athletic apparel.

PocketFuel

PocketFuel
PocketFuel was created by athletes for athletes with a passion for fueling a high energy, active, healthy lifestyle. Blending work and play, passion and power!!

Chamois Butt'r

Chamois Butt'r
Every Endurance Athlete's BEST FRIEND!!!

Skora Running

Skora Running
Run Real!!

Niupure

Niupure
Please click on the link above for more information about Niupure. A natural immune booster and antioxidant that works wonders for Helgi

Keauhou Veterinary Hospital

Keauhou Veterinary Hospital
Keauhou Veterinary Hospital

Xterra Wetsuits

Xterra Wetsuits
XTERRA WETSUITS

Base

Base
Base Performance Supplements

TriSports.com

TriSports.com
Swim. Bike. Run. Shop

IRONMAN Canada, Whistler B.C.

IRONMAN Canada, Whistler B.C.
CLICK ON THE PICTURE ABOVE to donate now to help send me to Whistler, B.C. and raise awareness for Ankylosing Spondylitis. Hurry!! Time is running out!

Click To Donate to this Cause

My crazy quest for IRONMAN

I am on a mission to raise awareness and money for Ankylosing Spondylitis(A.S.) and arthritis through my competitions and rise to the top as a professional triathlete with A.S.. IRONMAN 2013 here I come. I have been training extremely hard and I won't stop until I get there!!!

"ENDURANCE For Ankylosing Spondylitis"

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

30 hours of training over 7 days with full time work!!!!

It has been a tough 7 days, but I pushed and I made it through, and I was also able to have two full days of much needed rest( aside from work of course) within this time period.  I set out last week to train 30 hours and bike 300 miles in 7 days. I basically wanted to see how my body holds up to training like a pro.  I feel like I did pretty well and I was able to exceed my goals.  I probably should have run more and swam alot more, but I feel like there was significant improvement in each discipline.   I also trained on the Total Gym and with resistance bands, core, stretching for 10 hours of that 30 hours.

I also had the chance to ride with some great cyclists and good people in general.  I also had the opportunity to ride up in the hills of the Hamakua coast near Honoka'a, which is the easternmost edge of the Hawaiian Islands.  I wish everyone could have been a part of these lovely excursions.  Soon!!  Once I get a GoPro, I will start some videos for everyone to get to know me better and see the beautiful Hawaii Island.

My body was lethargic at the end of each training/working day, but with the proper pre, during, and post nutrition and hydration, my body was able to perform better as the week progressed.   You should have seen...it was Lights Out as soon as I hit the pillow, and then up at 6 a.m. for a ride.  I had all of my bottles, mixes and supplements ready to go, and it was like clockwork.

There was one morning where I was running late, so I didn't eat anything besides amy protein and supplements.  I could totally feel the diference.  In fact, my body was sensitive to any changes that I made and it offers me more respect for the proper nutrition combination for these long workouts, and ultimately Ironman, where I will do one third of what I did in a week in 1 day.  Now THAT is humbling!
 
I am excited to see what my numbers are in the time trial I will do at the end of this week with my coach, Rick Rubio.  We are comparing to about four months ago with the relative numbers for a swim/bike/run.

I am starting to think more like an athlete.  Where do I need to improve and how can I get there?  There are so many benefits to planning my training to acheive goals and milestones.  It is working.  I have not come close to my peak and its exciting to see how far I can go and how hard I can push myself.  Do I have what it takes to become a Pro?


As far as my Ankylosing Spondylitis goes, I am still not really feeling any pain.  The worst that I get is some sharp pains in my hips every once in a while, or if I sit down, my lower back gets tight and I have to crack it in order to feel better.  As long as I stretch, exercise, stay healthy and take my ENBREL, I feel like I will always have this disease right where I want it.  I did take my shot during this training week and I felt fine.

Thanks to my readers for their continued support.  Please let me know what you think of the new logo.  Do you like the top or the bottom better?

Please check my "Race Schedule" on the right column on the home page of this blog to see some additional results and upcoming races.  Go Big or Go Home!!

Cheers,
Helgi Olafson


1 comment:

  1. Your story is one of the first I've read since starting my research of AS and I'm so glad I did. I'm at the beginning of my journey, still in the confusion/shock phase of it all and this is the type of inspiration I needed.

    Thank you and good luck in your training!

    ReplyDelete