HOF Header

HOF Header
"ENDURANCE for Ankylosing Spondylitis"

BWBS Banner

BWBS Banner
For all of your Cycling and Triathlon needs, please contact the Bike Works Beach and Sports Ohana!! Schedule a trip to Hawaii and Join us for a group ride!!

Oomph! Sports

Oomph! Sports
Oomph Sports handmakes well constructed, comfortable athletic apparel.

PocketFuel

PocketFuel
PocketFuel was created by athletes for athletes with a passion for fueling a high energy, active, healthy lifestyle. Blending work and play, passion and power!!

Chamois Butt'r

Chamois Butt'r
Every Endurance Athlete's BEST FRIEND!!!

Skora Running

Skora Running
Run Real!!

Niupure

Niupure
Please click on the link above for more information about Niupure. A natural immune booster and antioxidant that works wonders for Helgi

Keauhou Veterinary Hospital

Keauhou Veterinary Hospital
Keauhou Veterinary Hospital

Xterra Wetsuits

Xterra Wetsuits
XTERRA WETSUITS

Base

Base
Base Performance Supplements

TriSports.com

TriSports.com
Swim. Bike. Run. Shop

IRONMAN Canada, Whistler B.C.

IRONMAN Canada, Whistler B.C.
CLICK ON THE PICTURE ABOVE to donate now to help send me to Whistler, B.C. and raise awareness for Ankylosing Spondylitis. Hurry!! Time is running out!

Click To Donate to this Cause

My crazy quest for IRONMAN

I am on a mission to raise awareness and money for Ankylosing Spondylitis(A.S.) and arthritis through my competitions and rise to the top as a professional triathlete with A.S.. IRONMAN 2013 here I come. I have been training extremely hard and I won't stop until I get there!!!

"ENDURANCE For Ankylosing Spondylitis"

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Race Cap and official results for my first TRIATHLON!!!

I am proud to inform my readers that I finished Lavaman Keauhou 2012, 6th in my age group and 41st overall with somewhere just under 500 athletes.  I marked my weakness through my unimpressive swim at 34:04, the 149th fastest swim.  My transition from swim to bike (6:13) was also a nightmare( need to train more on this), plus the picture of Christopher Landers wasn't able to stick to the velcro that I originally had attached to my suit.  Unfortunately they came off in the water, so I had to get the picture pinned on my back before getting on the bike.

I was able to grab the 14th fastest bike split overall.  There was not one competitor that passed me on the bike.  I passed about 200 people and it felt amazing to be riding like the wind on a fun course, including Ali'i Drive, in Kailua Kona.  I almost ran straight into oncoming traffic as I turned down into the Sheraton, but I was able to veer to the right as I bike the 14th fastest bike split of the day at 1:11:04. 

My T2 time was 1:51, which was a bit long.  Again, now I know what I need to work on, and that I have room for improvement in efficiency during certain parts of  the race.

A decent run with room for improvement.  I ran a 46:03 for the 30th fastest run overall.  I feel that I can improve this at least 10 minutes.  The hard push for the finish has to start with a few miles left, not just a half mile.

I need an easier fueling system while racing.  I take Optygen, by First Endurance, Metasalts, and Endurox Excel, all equal parts.  My energy gel is easy to access.  I am also very glad that I brought 2 full electrolyte/water bottles because I dropped one of mine while riding and ran over it.  There really wasn't enough aide on this course.  I remember drinking half of a water bottle they passed me at the turn around, and dousing myself with the rest.  It helped my focus.  I maintained a high cadence on my way back through the wind and pushed in a hard gear on the way down the hills.  It was a super fun ride.

Total Time 2:39:15

I truly believe that, with the proper training, I can probably knock off some serious time on the swim, run and transitions.  I will set my goal at Lavaman Waikoloa, in March at 2:15 

Apparently there were some pictures taken of me on the bike, but I haven't seen them yet.  these pics are from just after the finish   I will post when I receive them.  It was great to have the support of my friends and especially my mom.  Thanks so much to the  support from the Landers family, Ruth Van Doren, Aron, Geri Rott and Tanya Power of Lavaman and to everyone who took the time out to hear what I had to say.

I look forward to my future an assistant race director with Lavaman and the Healthy Cooking contest for Lavaman Waikoloa.  It is going to be done right and hopefully everyone will love participating. 

If anyone has interest in donating startup funds or would like to donate their time to our fundraising team, we would love to hear from you.  The response that I got from this expo was awesome.  This could only get better as we move forward.

Mahalo,
Helgi Olafson

No comments:

Post a Comment